Molecular Lab Manager Iowa City, IA
Saige Partners is looking for a dynamic, self-driven and collaborative Lab Manager with a passion for genetics and molecular biology to join our client’s team in the Iowa City area. This individual will work directly with the scientific Directors to perform services providing genetic characterization of bacterial and fungal isolates for our pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients and oversee a small team.
The Molecular Laboratory Manager will lead a team of scientists and bioinformaticians that are responsible for the genetic characterization of antimicrobial/antifungal resistance genes and other testing to characterize organisms collected yearly worldwide. Opportunities to generate and participate in journal peer-reviewed publications and attendance at important microbiology and infectious disease conferences in the field are provided.
This position plays an important role assuring the accuracy of the data, scientific rigor, cost efficiency and productivity of the Molecular Laboratory. Experience with next generation sequencing testing and data analysis is required and microbiome knowledge is desired.
- Coordinates all activities within the molecular laboratory
- Reviews test results for accuracy and completeness
- Assures that laboratory methods are performed according to SOPs
- Oversees the recruitment, orientation, training, supervision and evaluation of staff
- Represents the laboratory in the professional environment including presentation of scientific papers at professional meetings
- Assist IT Department in the development of systems used by molecular staff gathering requirements and functioning as a subject matter expert
- Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over other Molecular Scientists I, II and III, Lead Molecular Scientist and Bioinformatics Scientists.
- Requires a Masters or PhD degree in a laboratory science field from an accredited college or university
- 5 years laboratory experience
- Previous laboratory supervision and administration is desirable.
- Data Analysis experience
- Next generation sequencing (NGS or NextGenSeq) testing experience
- Microbiome experience desired